Storywalk® in the Park @ Couch Park
What is a StoryWalk®?
StoryWalk® is an innovative and delightful way for children — and adults! — to enjoy reading and the outdoors at the same time. Laminated pages from a children's book are attached to wooden stakes, which are installed along an outdoor path. As you stroll down the trail, you're directed to the next page in the story. Watch a short video about our Stillwater Storywalk using this link.
During the first two books posted, From Head to Toe & Eating the Alphabet, families may visit the library to receive a free health focused picture book to keep at home! Eating the Alphabet will be up until we pass out all of our books.
StoryWalks® have been installed in 50 states and 12 countries including, Germany, Canada, England, Bermuda, Russia, Malaysia, Pakistan and South Korea! They are always received with appreciation.
StoryWalk® was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and has developed with the help of Rachel Senechal, Kellogg-Hubbard Library. To read more about the history of StoryWalk® please click here.
Tell me more about the Grand Opening.
The library will be hosting a Grand Opening event at Couch Park (12th Avenue & Perkins Road) on March 31st from 10am-12pm. The Storywalk will open for use and families may receive a book for completing a survey about their experience. There will also be healthy snacks provided by TSET Healthy Living Program plus additional health related information provide by local partners. Of course, the park will be near by for active play.
How did we get a StoryWalk®?
The Stillwater Public Library received a health literacy grant from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. In addition to the StoryWalk® the library will also be providing health information and a children's book relating to the pictures in the StoryWalk® from March-June.
- “This health literacy project is supported by federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Information and opinions expressed during the project do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of IMLS and no official endorsements should be inferred.”
Additional resources to keep kids active and healthy
- Shape Your Future, A Program of TSET https://shapeyourfutureok.com/
- American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyKids/Healthy-Kids_UCM_304156_SubHomePage.jsp
- US Department of Health & Human Services https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/
- First Book http://www.fbmarketplace.org/molina-health-wellness-resources/?utm_source=Pardot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HealthAndWellness
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion https://health.gov/
Partners and Sponsors