Now Open! New Storywalk® @ Strickland Park
Our newest Storywalk® incorporates accessibility features to align with the PlayAbility Project at Strickland Park. Stories are also in braille and audio recordings are available to stream.
We’ll introduce a new book each month this summer featuring stories that promote physical movement and healthy eating. The library is also hosting several family fun days at the park:
- Saturday, April 9, 1-4 pm: Grand opening celebration with community painting, music, dance, and therapy dogs. Featured book: “Let’s Dance” by Valerie Bolling (recorded version read by City Manager Norman McNickel)
- Saturday, May 21, 1-3 pm: Family yoga by Red Earth Yoga, miniature ponies from Turning Point, therapy dogs, and free snacks! Featured book: “ABC Yoga” by Christiane Engel (recorded version read by Mike Gundy)
- Saturday, June 25: 10 am-12 pm Activities will focus on healthy eating. Featured book: "Little Pea" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
All events will have free snacks provided by TSET and children can receive a free book upon completing the Storywalk® while supplies last.
The Storywalk® is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and the Oklahoma Department of Libraries (ODL). The opinions and content of activities and materials do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of ODL or IMLS, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
StoryWalk® @ Couch Park
The Stillwater Public Library's first Storywalk® is located at Couch Park. It was installed in March 2018. The children's librarians change out the stories several times per year so that visiting can always be a new adventure!
What is a StoryWalk®?
StoryWalk® is an innovative and delightful way for children — and adults! — to enjoy reading and the outdoors at the same time. Laminated pages from a children's book are attached to stakes, which are installed along an outdoor path. As you stroll down the trail, you're directed to the next page in the story.
Watch a short video from the first Stillwater Storywalk using this link. Please note the survey and free book are no longer available as we have completed the grant period.
StoryWalks® have been installed in 50 states and 12 countries including, Germany, Canada, England, Bermuda, Russia, Malaysia, Pakistan and South Korea! They are always received with appreciation.
The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library. Storywalk® is a registered service mark owned by Ms. Ferguson. To read more about the history of StoryWalk® please click here.How did we get a StoryWalk®?
The Stillwater Public Library received a health literacy grant from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries and the Institute of Museum and Library Services in 2018.
- “This health literacy project is supported by federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Information and opinions expressed during the project do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of IMLS and no official endorsements should be inferred.”
Library Recommendations listed at the StoryWalk®
To encourage physical activity- Book List
To encourage healthy eating- Book List
Additional resources to keep kids active and healthy
- Shape Your Future, A Program of TSET
- American Heart Association
- US Department of Health & Human Services
- First Book
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Partners and Sponsors